Kalyana Krishna Publications|
About the Book Mudrakhyam
Since last seven decades, Classical Dance forms of Kerala, Kathakali and Mohiniyattam had been using “Hasthalakshanadeepika ‘’ as the Original reference Guide (Aadhaaragrandham) for its hand gestures. But in course of time, similar to any growing language or art from, a number of new gestures have evolved and are in use. In order to support this, new supporting guides or reference guides are essential. This is the purpose behind writing the book “Mudrakhyam” A Visual Dictionary on Mohiniyattam Hand Gestures.
Download Book index page ( PDF File ) >>
The special characteristics of the book are as follows:-
1) It has description for all fundamental gestures (24 as given in Hasthalakshanadeepika and other eleven prevailing in Mohiniyattam at present) and their usages (Viniyogas) in Malayalam Slokas. These hand gestures are grouped into three subdivisions namely.
a) Asamyuktamudras (gestures or mudras shown using one hand).
b) Samyuktamudras (words using same mudras on both hands).
c) Sankalanamudras (words depicted using different mudras in each hand)
2) Each line of the sloka is transliterated using international phonetics, so that even non-malayalees can read and understand the book.
3) For each word described in the slokas photographs are given. These photographs will be helpful to understand the placement of the hands as well as the position of the eyes with the facial expression, to a certain extend.
4) In the end of each section of the fundamental gesture, all the words have been arranged in tables, in Malayalam Alphabetical order with the English meaning for that word. This helps to find out the English word of that particular Malayalam word and the hand gestures used to express that word.
5) Other than the fundamental hand gestures description and photographs depicting important characters of our Epics Ramayana and Mahabharatha, Devatha Hasthas, Dasavathara Hasthas, Bendhu Hasthas, Samkhya Hasthas etc. are also given.
6) Sreedevi has also composed new gestures for some of the words which have no gestures such as Ahalya, Mandodari, Kumbakarna, Brahannala, grandfather, grandmother etc. And this will be helpful for students and choreographers.
7) In this book Sreedevi has also accepted some of the gestures which are shown in different ways by various people. For example the word “cloud” is shown using Pathakam, Mudrakhyam, Bhramaram, and Mukuram.
8) Even some of the fundamental gestures are also shown with slight differences. These differences also have been explained in this book. Example, Anjali, Katakamukham etc…
The entire book is with Art paper and the Deluxe binding and multi colour printing also helps the book to last long and look attractive.
In the ‘Preface’ of this book, Dr. M Leelavathy has written:- Besides being the daughter and student of Kathakali maestro Kalamandalam Krishnan Nair and doyenne of Mohiniyattam, Kalamandalam Kalyanikutty Amma, it is her higher education, lifelong experiences in this art from and of course inborn talent that enabled Smt. Sreedevi to write such a book. Her students who are well known dancers in the field of Mohiniyattam are the testimony of her vast knowledge and teaching ability.
BOOK RELEASE -
The book release was on JAN 22nd 2012 and Malayalam writer/ poet Sri. R.K Damodaran handed the Book to Mohiniyattam exponent Guru Kalamandalam Sugandhi.
And The book distribution- started on December 3rd 2012. The functioned was inaugurated by Dr. P. V. Krishnan Nair, Kerala Sangeeth Natak Academy Secretary. He distributed the book to Dancer and Kerala Sangeeth Natak Academy Executive member Sri Ennekkat Narayanan Kutty. Book distribution picture too is attached.
Book Price : Rs 1200/- (plus shipping and handling, if required)
If you want to buy the book please contact:
Kalyana Krishna Foundation®, Shreyas, 57/2551 Warriam Road, Kochi 682016 Kerala, INDIA
email@example.com (Reg. 558/03) Tel 484-2368525
Back to Home Page